Watch our official "How-ToĒ video on How To Dye your hair with Manic Panic
Manic Panicís semi-permanent hair colour
contains fortified herbal and protein complex, and features no animal by-products. Our Hair Colour can be used to achieve vibrant colours on pre-lightened or light blonde hair. Dark colours such as red, purple or green may be used to highlight naturally darker hair shades. It is always recommended you perform a strand test
to see how the dye will look on you first.
Manic Panic Hair Colour Is Tested On Celebrities, Not Animals!
Manic Panic hair dye does not damage hair and contains restorative properties, acting as a conditioner that hydrates and "fillsĒ processed hair.
Manic Panic Hair Colour should be used exactly as supplied and described on the packaging. Do not add peroxide or other permanent hair colourants.
Manic Panic hair colourants may temporarily stain skin and permanently stain the fabric of clothes, towels and bedding etc. Do not use with alkaline based products as these will upset the pH balance needed for maximum absorption of colour by the hair. Low pH or non-alcohol hair products are recommended.
Avoid contact with eyes and do not use Manic Panic Colour for eyebrows or eyelashes. If contact with eyes occurs, rinse out with warm water and contact a doctor.
- Not for internal use, avoid ingestion. Keep out of the reach of small children.
- For the best results, please use on porous, bleached, tinted or naturally light blonde hair.
- When applied to darker untreated hair, results may vary depending on hair shade and texture.
These Are The Things We Recommend To Do Before You Dye:
A Patch Test:
Before applying Manic Panic Hair Colour, perform a patch test first. This is to test for an allergic reaction.
- Choose a small area of skin roughly the size of a penny for the test, preferably somewhere discreet such as behind the ear or in the inner fold of your elbow.
- Wash the test area with water and soap and dab dry with a clean towel.
- Place a thin coating of your chosen Manic Panic Hair Dye upon the test area.
- Allow the dye to dry and leave it undisturbed and uncovered for 24 hours.
- Examine the test area for any signs of irritation. If there is a negative reaction, then the product should not be used by that person under any circumstances.
A Strand Test:
Perform a quick strand test
to ensure you get the desired results. Apply a small amount of colour to a discreet section of hair before attempting a large amount.
Pre-Lighten Your Hair:
So that your hair colour is as bright as it appears in its jar or on the colour swatch, itís necessary to pre-lighten your hair. If youíre going for light or pastel shades, this is essential. Use our Manic Panic Flash Lightning Complete Bleach Kit
. Follow the instructions on the packaging and make sure to wash and rinse out all bleach residue with shampoo, as this can prevent hair dye from processing correctly.
Wash Hair With Deep Cleansing Shampoo:
Ensure your hair is squeaky clean before using Manic Panic Hair Colour. Do not use conditioner as this will prevent the dye from taking to the hair. Make sure your hair is thoroughly dried too.
Wear protective rubber or plastic gloves when applying any hair colour products, including lightener. Use petroleum jelly or baby oil around the hair line and over the tips of your ears to prevent colour staining.
Send To A Friend
Get Your Colour On!
1. Apply To Dry Hair:
Empty the desired amount of Manic Panic Hair Colour into a plastic bowl (approximately half a jar for short hair, a full jar for longer locks).
Using a tint brush, apply the hair colour, starting half an inch from the scalp and working it evenly through, all the way down to the ends. Then, from the nape of the neck where the hairline begins, work upwards through the hair. Make sure all of your hair is saturated with colour.
2. Comb Colour Through Until Frothy:
Once the hair is frothy, this indicates that the dye has been thoroughly absorbed. Lighter shades of Manic Panic Colour may need extra combing to achieve maximum penetration and longer lasting colour.
Leave the dye on for at least 30 minutes or longer to process. At room temperature, 30 minutes is the average time for Manic Panic Hair Dye
to process. Infra-red heat lamps can reduce processing time by about 5 to 7 minutes and can help towards deeper colouration. For resistant hair itís advised you cover the hair with a plastic cap and leave for an hour or longer to process.
3. Rinse Hair With Cool Water, Away From Face:
No after-treatments are required with Manic Panic Hair Colour products.
4. Keeping It In:
Manic Panic semi-permanent hair colour is made from vegan friendly ingredients and uses no animal products. It coats the hair follicles best when used on porous hair, such as that which has been bleached, lightened or processed. Results may vary depending on the condition of the hair when dyed.
Manic Panic hair dye contains no harmful chemicals and acts as a conditioner, hydrating and treating the hair. Shampoo, extensive exposure to sunlight, swimming and hair spray can all cause hair colour to prematurely fade. Itís recommended you wash hair in cool water to prevent this.
A trick to help prolong colour vibrancy is to rinse hair with a mixture of white vinegar and water in equal parts immediately after colouring. Comb through and allow to sit for up to two minutes, and then rinse out thoroughly. This raises the pH level of the hair, leading to greater colour permanence.
Getting It Out:
- Pre-packaged hot oil treatments may be used to speed up hair colour removal. Follow instructions on the packaging when using and apply shampoo without water. Add water gradually, washing and rinsing until all the oil is removed.
- When using non Manic Panic lightening and colour removal products, consult the manufacturers for guidance on use, or contact a professional hair stylist.
For more information about using Manic Panic products, please feel free to visit our FAQ's Glossary